THE DESERT
By Tessa Harvey
"Son," the older detective slowly spoke, "be careful. The heart is deceptive. But have you thought of Esther? She probably sees you as a sort of white knight. Don't go away just yet. We all need hope."
Zack answered, "Who else is helping? Surely Esther is not alone. Where is her mother?"
Sam looked at the young man. "Anna disappeared eight years ago without a trace. Since then, her sister and husband have tried to obtain custody of the child. They are lovely people, with children of their own."
"I am blocking this so-called wedding. The circuit judge is helping us. Karl had let Esther go to her relatives for the summer." The order will be served tomorrow."
"Why are you telling me all this?" Zack asked, puzzled. "I don't really belong here."
"Well Zack, it's like this: people who oppose Karl often have 'accidents.' So I cannot get enough deputies. You are obviously brave. You want to help Estber for her own sake, not just yours. You made friends with this young lady. Most people do not want to be bothered. So, will you be my deputy? I could use the help!"

Comments
Post a Comment