THE DESERT 

By Tessa Harvey


    Sanjay was surprised at hearing from Zack so soon. "What's up mate?" he said jokingly, "homesick already!" He was smiling, his dark face alight with humour, but soon he realized his friend was really upset.
    None of what he was hearing made sense, but he was a strong Christian, as was Zack and prayed for him over the phone. Then he asked cautiously, "Do you think it might be wiser to come back and swap vehicles for now? Just to be on the safe side."
    Zack had already considered this, but decided to press on. "I'm not in your league as a mechanic, mate, but I have learned a lot in the last few years. I can fix most of what's wrong. Anyway I will be in touch. Love to Erica."
    Just then a customer rolled up with a complicated problem and Sanjay was busy for the next few hours. After lunch he collected their little girl, Minnie, from daycare, took her to the park for a while, then headed home.
    Erica, a competent mechanic in her own right, was closing up for the day. The small family had a picnic kind of tea. Later, Erica tried to call her brother but there was no answer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog